Monday 16 May 2011

Exploring Global Threads

This past weekend I ventured into Preston City Centre for a little mooch around the charity shops and to take a browse round the high street stores to see what new drops have landed. With not much going on there I decided to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city shops and ventured into the wonderful Harris museum.

I’m a great advocate of the Harris museum and was excited to view the Global Threads: Asian Textiles and Fashion Today exhibition on their opening day. The exhibition and volunteers at the launch party were full of energy and great enthusiasm for the exhibition. In brief, the Global Threads exhibition takes its inspiration from a set of historic fabric samples and details how these prints have influenced many designers work over the years and how they continue to do so.

Explore Global Threads
As part of the launch party people from all ages, young & old, were invited to customise a plain white T-shirt with Asian influenced fabrics – my efforts can be seen below! I don’t profess to have great sewing skills and I admit that I had help from a miracle double side adhesive invention, but I did find the event to be quite a therapeutic environment and it was a great to see how people adapted to the customisation challenge.

Plain white tee

Further information on the exhibition can be found on the Harris Museum website!

No comments:

Post a Comment